CASTIGLIONI Achille

Achille CASTIGLIONI

Italy (1918-2002)

Pier Giacomo & Achille Castiglioni studied architecture at Politecnico di Milano, to 1937 and 1944 respectively. In 1938, Pier Giacomo Castiglioni and brother Livio set up a studio with Luigi Caccia Dominioni. They designed silver and aluminium flatware in 1940 and the first Italian plastic (Bakelite) Model 547 radio just before the studio was closed in 1940. In 1945, Pier Giacomo and Achille began collaborating separately from Livio, though participating with him occasionally. The prolific Castiglioni brothers were instrumental in founding the Triennale di Milano, the establishment of the Premio Compasso d’Oro in 1954, and the formation of ADI (Associazione per il Disegno Industriale) in 1956. Pier Giacomo and Achille Castiglioni collaborated on the journal Stile Industria and worked together or separately with other designers. Their collaboration on exhibition and product design lasted 25 years. The Castiglioni brothers using industrial materials, experimental forms, and advanced technology, they also produced lighting. The brothers’ most notable interior design work was for the 1958 Radio Exhibition and 1962 Montecantini Pavilion, both at the Milan fairs. Other clients included Knoll, Lancia, Siemens, B&B Italia …

^